Friday, January 23, 2009

Come to me

A couple of years ago, I read about a famous female writer in a newspaper. She has been very successful over the years and very productive since her debut in the late 50’s. She is famous for her writing, but also for her lifestyle. She grew up without a father with a very strict, loveless mother and her whole life she’s been rebelling against her mother by being promiscuous and has even described her love life in some of her books.


Now when I read about her she has become old, sick and full of fear. Her life is miserable and she cries out in the article;-“Is there anybody out there that can help me?”, and - “Is there anybody that can drag me out of this?”


Those words really spoke to me, since I know there is somebody, and yes, there is help. It also reminded me of a book I read some years ago that actually has the title; -“Is there anybody out there that can help me?”. It is written by Sandy Brown who was a waitress at the Hallelujah (!) ballroom in Las Vegas. One night she got so tired of her life that she took every sleeping pill she could find in her bath room cabinet, swallowed them, got into her car and drove into the desert. She started to feel the pills working in her system and became more and more drowsy. She realized she would soon loose conscienceness and suddenly knew she didn’t want to die. She rolled down her window and called out into the night, still driving, ;-“Is there anybody out there that can help me?”. Long story short, Sandy drove into a house, somebody took her to the hospital, she survived and gave her life to Jesus.


Back to the female writer; I’m thinking this lady is in the same situation.
I wrote her a letter. I don’t know if she ever received it, I hope she did.
I know that a person like that, an intellectual and all, can be very proud and have a hard time receiving this kind of a message, but this is what I wrote, and I’m skipping the introduction part. I publish it because there are so many people in the same situation that need the same kind of help. Maybe you are that person?




“Dear xxxx

I hope you don’t take offence by me writing to you. I have been in the spot light myself and I know how hard it can be to receive letters from someone you don’t know. I read your article on-line the other day where you describe the fears of aging. Some of your words touched my heart. You wrote:”- Is there anybody out there that can help me?”, and - “Is there anybody that can drag me out of this?” I don’t remember your exact words, but you said something like:”-Please tell me that this will pass.”

I have worked with old people for many years and I have seen a lot of suffering.
I know this is a very delicate matter and what I have to tell you may be the last thing you want to hear. But the word that came to me was from Psalms 40:2,

“He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.”

In Psalms 18:4-5 it says:

“The cords of death entangled me;the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.
The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me.”


And in verse 16-17:

“He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.
He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me.”


In Psalms 107:10,

” Some sat in darkness and the deepest gloom, prisoners suffering in iron chains,…”

Verse 14 and 20:

“He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains.”
“He sent forth his word and healed them;he rescued them from the grave.”



These are wonderful and true words from the Bible. I have myself experienced the salvation power of God. He pulled ME out of the slimy pit and transformed MY life completely. He took me out of anxiety and confusion. It is now over 23 years ago and it’s still working and I know it will take me all the way into eternity.
I’m convinced that God is able to transform your life in such a way that the years you have left to live on this earth, will be the most wonderful years of your life. And to give you a conviction so strong that you will know that what is even more wonderful lies ahead, that is eternity and heaven.


In Hebrews 2:14-15 it talks about Jesus: ,

“He,[Jesus], too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.”

I don’t know from my own experience what it means to get old, even if I’m not exactly young, I will be 54 this year, but I do know what it means to have anxiety and fear. It was among other things the anxiety that drove me to Jesus. And I can honestly say that I have not experienced anxiety, not even once since I got saved. All the dark within me disappeared and instead came a wonderful peace and joy.


It’s very easy to get saved. In Romans 10:9-10 it says;

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved”.

In verse 13 it says;
"Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Jesus says further; “and whoever comes to me I will never drive away”. John 6:37b

and

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life”. John 5:24

“There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love”. 1 John 4:18

God doesn’t just have love, He IS Love. To receive Jesus is to receive eternal, divine, unconditional LOVE".




No comments:

Followers